Most of us could really use a massage and so does your Kale salad! Before we address your massage, let’s talk about kale and why it needs massaging too!
As most of you know, at Courtyard Cafe we have a Signature Salad, which is Kale-based. When we were in the early stages of creating the Cafe, we knew we wanted something other than coleslaw to be a side attraction for our sandwiches… seems everyone has coleslaw!
We also knew we wanted something hearty that would hold up to the potential abuse of a salad dressing.
Running through different ideas of what could be an alternative side, Kale was at the top of the list.
Considering we are a Holistic Wellness establishment, Kale seemed to be the perfect fit and it’s a superfood too.
With a quick stroll through the internet you can discover many health benefits of Kale.
“Kale is rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and low in calories.”
Check out these stats…
- Nearly 3 grams of protein.
- 2.5 grams of fiber (which helps manage blood sugar and makes you feel full)
- Vitamins A, C, and K.
- Folate, a B vitamin that’s key for brain development.
- Alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid.
- Has more iron per ounce than beef
- Kale has more calcium than milk
A good 40-50 years ago, you could find the curly leaves of kale as a garnish on your dinner plate. A garnish that would be pushed around on the plate, because it was in the way. Definitely not something you would consider picking up and eating.
Kale wouldn’t be considered an everyday ordinary item on your grocery list. Given its unfamiliarity, bad reputation and a general lack of understanding on how to prepare it makes individuals shy away from giving Kale a genuine try.
With that said there is no doubt that Kale can be tough, bitter and dang chewy cutting through the fibrous consistency. Which is why it needs a massage!
But, that was what we were looking for… a hearty tough texture. As a healthy-for-you powerfood we encourage individuals to add Kale to their repertoire of wellness foods.
Giving the lettuce leaves a massage is a small price to pay given all the benefits.
It helps to virtually bruise the tough consistency as well as evenly disperse the dressing into all the crevices of the curly weave of the leaves. The result breaks down the cell texture for easier digestion and delicious taste.
Before you begin to prepare the Kale follow these simple guidelines:
- Determine what dressing you would like to use, preferably a favorite.
- Clean the Kale and strip the stems of the meatier lettuce leaves.
- Add a small amount of dressing. You can add more if you need to, although I’ve found less is more.
- Add any other flavorful ingredients you have on hand; nuts, raisins, craisins, grated carrots, onion and even any leftovers such as sweet potato or avocado.
- If you like spices, put in a dash or two of cayenne pepper.
- Now massage for 1-2 minutes causing the leaves to soften and wilt!
- Being creative will ensure your newfound love for Kale.
Now for YOUR massage!
We are a Holistic Wellness Center, so consider spending a half day with us. Enjoy a full hour massage for $49. Make an appointment or buy a Gift Certificate for a later date as this is a limited time offer expiring the last day of the 2018 year.
After your massage come on in to the Courtyard Cafe for a health-conscious food experience and of course be sure to order our Signature Salad!
See you soon.
Leave a Reply